Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Orchiopexy

That is the name of the procedure that Mason had yesterday. When he was born, his right testicle had not decended. Sometimes this can naturally drop down on it's own within the first year, but in Mason's case it obviously didn't. He was also unable to be circumsized, so he had both performed yesterday at Floyd by Dr. Jessie.

When he was born, I almost knew that this would be inevitable. Well, I knew Mason probably wouldn't be one of the lucky few who would have the issue corrected naturally. So for the past two weeks I have been a nervous wreck in anticipation of his surgery day.

We arrived at Floyd at 6:30am. Unfortunately with the Mr's job (not an understanding one), he was unable to join us. I know that made him even more of a nervous wreck. Luckily my mom was able to take the day off and join us, so I was definitely less anxious when she arrived.

After all of the paperwork, and all of the waiting, Mason was given his cocktail to help him relax. And he definitely did just that! The poor guy was as limp as a dish rag. Ha

Around 10:15, they took him back for surgery, and it ended around 1:30. After some more waiting, I finally got to see him a little after 2. Groggy and confused, he sat in my lap and downed two cups of apple juice. I was so glad to see he was okay, and happy to finally have this past us.

We got home and Mason ate some Spaghettios and crashed. He slept for around 6 hours, woke up for an hour and a half, then slept all night. Today he's happily playing like this never happened.

Three incisions later, and my son is happy and healthy. After a year of fear and dread it's finally over.

No one wants to see their child in any pain whatsoever. As parents we continually have to make decisions for what is best for our children. I wanted to have this surgery done as soon as possible, so tht Mason wouldn't have any recollection whatsoever. And now it's a thing of the past.

Dr. Jessie is an amazing doctor with such a positive disposition, and I would recommend him to anyone. The nurses as Floyd Surgery Center were amazing as well. It was a long day for sure, but they kept us updated frequently and assured us that Mason was in excellent hands.

My mom was a wonderful supporter to us, and took my mind off my anxiety. We joke about how we go completely crazy when stuck in hospitals for lengthy periods of time, but we always manage to make it stress free. I couldn't thank you enough for being there Mom, it really meant a lot to me.

Thanks to everyone for thinking of us, all your well wishes and checking in yesterday, and support. I have such a large group of famiy and friends that are wonderfully supportive and amazing.

On the road to recovery!

And sorry for the typos, I'm posting from my IPhone, which is a whole hell of a lot different that sitting at the computer.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

So glad that little man's surgery went well and that it is a thing of the past!